Custom regulations

  • The allowances listed below refer to goods taken into Sweden taxpaid for personal use from another European Union country. The allowance for goods bought tax-free is more limited.
    Wines, spirits and beer: Visitors aged 20 and over may bring alcohol into Sweden tax-free when travelling from another EU country under the following circumstances:
    - the alcohol is intended for personal use (i.e. for yourself or for your family)
    - you are personally transporting the goods into Sweden

There is no restriction to the amount of alcohol you may bring in, but it must be for your personal use or for your family´s use. 
Cigarettes/tobacco: Visitor aged 18 can bring tobacco into Sweden tax-free if you are travelling from another EU country and the tobacco is for personal use (or for your family´s use), and you are personally transporting the products into Sweden.

Medicines: May be taken in if intended for the traveller’s own use. Narcotics used as medication may be taken in if intended for personal use for not more than five days, three weeks or three months depending on listing. Travellers must have a medical certificate to prove that they need them.
Import restrictions apply to the following: Narcotics, injection syringes, drugs, arms and ammunition, knives and similar weapons (for example stiletto blades), some animal food items and live animals, including birds, fish and reptiles. As from 3 July 2004 there are new rules with regard to import of pets. Dogs, cats and ferrets travelling within or re-entering the EU now require a passport.
Contact the Embassy of Sweden’s information section
Tel: +44 (0)20 7917 6400
Boat travel to Sweden: If you arrive in Sweden in your own boat you must land at a harbour with Customs facilities. Information on Customs requirements is available from

Tullverket - Swedish Customs
Box 12854, SE-112 98 Stockholm
Tel: +46 (0)771 520 520
email: info@tullverket.se

Visitors from a non-European Union country can import the following tax-free goods into Sweden:

Vistors aged 20 and over can take in 1 liter of liquor or 2 liters of fortified or sparkling wine (between 16-22% proof), 4 liters of wine (up to 15% proof) and 16 liters of strong beer.

Visitors aged 18 or over may take 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of other manufactured tobacco products or 50 cigars or 100 cheroots.
The import of some other items, including food, is restricted. For details contact diplomatic representatives. 
Dogs, cats and ferrets traveling within or re-entering the EU require a passport.


A part of the official gateway to Sweden