Sweden Celebrates Strindberg in 2012
A year-long tribute to Sweden’s greatest author and dramatist
August Strindberg (1849-1912) is Sweden’s most celebrated author and playwright. His works—Miss Julie and The Ghost Sonata among them—are classics of modern theater, both for their deeply defined characters and their revolutionary exploration of psychological and social themes. A true innovator, Strindberg “set the stage” for the generations of actors and dramatists that followed him.
This year, the 100th anniversary of Strindberg’s death will be commemorated by events in Sweden and around the world, including:
• “Strindberg” at the Nordiska Museet in Stockholm (through Jan. 1, 2013), featuring personal items, family photos and original manuscripts. http://www.nordiskamuseet.se/category.asp?cat=187&catname=English&topmenu=142
• “Sender A. Strindberg” at the Post Museum in Stockholm (Mar. 23–Dec. 31), focusing on the author’s letters and correspondence. http://www.postmuseum.posten.se/museng/index.html
• Musical performances at the Stockholm Concert House. http://www.konserthuset.se
• A traveling exhibition of Strindberg’s own photographs that will visit museums throughout Sweden during the anniversary year.
Click on http://strindberg2012.se/index.php/en/ for a full calendar of events.
Care to walk “in Strindberg’s footsteps”? Be sure to visit:
• The Strindberg Museum (Strindbergsmuseet) is housed in his reconstructed apartment complete with his 3,000-volume personal library. http://www.strindbergsmuseet.se/index_eng.html
• The Intima Teater, founded by Strindberg in 1907 and restored in 2002, is now a 100-seat theater for live performance, especially works by Strindberg. http://www.strindbergsintimateater.se (In Swedish)
• Röda Rummet, the inspiration for Strindberg’s 1879 novel The Red Room, is a magnificent Baroque-style room in Stockholm’s Berns Hotel. A gathering place for bohemians and free-thinkers in Strindberg’s day, the Red Room is now used for private dinners and gatherings. http://www.berns.se/en/conference-event/premises/roda-rummet
For more information:
www.strindberg2012.se http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/page____19309.aspx?epslanguage=EN http://strindbergfestival.com/